Thursday 11 April 2013

National Siblings Day


If you had asked me 15 years ago on this date whether I appreciated my younger brothers and sister, my snarky, pre-teen, know-it-all reply would have been something like “only when they do (insert chore here) for me”, or “my parents should have stopped after me. Why mess with perfection?” 

Fast forward to present day; thankfully I’ve gained some perspective. When I think back to some of my best childhood memories, they all have at least one of my three siblings in them: road tripping to Florida and separating seats in the van with Heather’s blankies; taking turns shouting lines from the Muppet movie while we were each in our bedrooms supposed to be sleeping; coordinating Halloween costumes; terrorizing babysitters; random chocolate; and ‘they’re clean!’ (Sorry, PBP).

We’ve been through a hell of a lot in a short period of time – more than most  given our ages – but the glue that’s bound us together has continued to hold strong. 

I don’t think I’ve ever fought, laughed, cried, or shared as much with anyone as I have with these three and I wouldn’t change it for the world. They pick me up when I don't have the strength to do it myself. They love me unconditionally even though at times I may not love myself. They support me as I continue to pursue my dreams. They give me perspective. They have shaped the woman I am today.

Happy National Siblings Day Heather, Kenny & Paul. 

I love you all to the ends of the earth and look forward to watching you soar. 



“To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other’s hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember the feuds and secrets, family grief, and joys. We live outside the touch of time.” 
– Clara Ortega

No comments:

Post a Comment